Well.....

Although there have not been any recent camps run by Word of Life things have been pretty exciting around here. The local Bible College has been on holiday for 2 weeks so it has seemed empty at times here. Usually for dinner there are 14+ people and at times there was just 5 this past week!

Yet we still pressed on with our work as we have an upcoming "Olympian Games Day" (an event where kids come and play carnival style games all day) which requires many phone calls and church visits.

I have just now decided to compile a list of rules for people to follow while in a foreign land which I will interject at times which currently relates to the Olympian Games Day

Rule #1: When traveling always have a native with you
Clarification-Native as in one who is native to the country, not Native Americans
Reason-Even if you think you know where you are going....you don't. Even if the native has never been there, they can get there better than you.

Story: While on one of these said church visits for Olympian Games Day I got lost. Not lost like this (see below)
But lost like "I know where I am but I don't know where I'm going" Needless to say I refused to go home without completing the mission and even more obvious I could not ask for directions. Therefore I relied on my keen sense of direction and GPS in my phone. After quite some time and many blocked roads I reached my goal. Hence rule #1.

Well back to life at WOL.... There is a stray cat (named Snarf) that has been mostly accepted into the WOLSA family of pets who recently had kittens. They are just over 2 weeks old and due to the cleverness of Snarf I have yet to lay a finger on these critters.
Snarf conveniently laying in the door way of the office
She first kept them in the far corner of our property between a shed and a wall. The gap between the two is much to narrow for a person or even a dog to get through. Thus they were safe from man and beast alike.

Kittens safe in their corner
However over the weekend we had a fierce thunderstorm, when I went to go see how Snarf and her kittens were I noticed that the kittens had vanished! After about an hour of searching, tailing, hunting, and waiting I discovered their new location. Snarf had moved her kittens under a covered staircase that was filled with rubbish, inaccessible by man, beast or the elements. If Snarf had opposable thumbs I would fear that she would take over the world.

The last major thing happening around WOLSA and actually most of the world is the Rugby World Cup. Not quite as popular as the soccer cup but much more exciting in my opinion. The South African team know as the Springboks is raked #2 in the world, thus many South Africans are following the World Cup with great devotion. Although we are mostly American's at WOLSA it is no different, for "as long as the Pope is Catholic" we drop everything, plop in front of the TV and watch the Springbok's match. They are currently undefeated in the 2011 World Cup and are set to play their arch rival Australia in the quarter final on Sunday.
One of my favorite players to watch Schalk Burger. (with the ball)

I would just like to tell everyone also that support is coming in good and at the current rate I will be able to stay in South Africa for the full time. Thank you for those who have been giving consistently, and if you still would like to give then there is still opportunity and please contact me if you would like to do so.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Drakensberg

Super Superbowl!

Mozambique Part Two